Sunday, September 24, 2006

Our Rythm

We actually haven't altered our routine drastically, but I've changed what we do in the slots of time that we have a little bit. Since we've been doing this for about a week and a half already, I'll put up an example of our day(s.) This is long, since our preschool is our day--That includes waking up and going to bed! :)

I wake up at about 5:30 or 6, hopefully before the kids are awake. I take a shower and then Dylan wakes up. We get coffee and Dylan's banana and head upstairs for coffee and family time in bed. Then I get dressed, and get the kids dressed. **You would be amazed at how much more time I have and how smoothly the morning goes if I'm showered and dressed with the kids dressed before we go down to have breakfast!**

We go downstairs and I make Jupe's lunch for him to take to work. Jupe showers and gets dressed, the kids play in the living room. Then I make breakfast and we all sit down and eat together, unless it's one of the days Jupe has to leave early.

Jupe leaves for work, Dylan and I wash the breakfast dishes and Dylan plays at the sink for a while.

Then we have Circle time:

our autumn 3 billy goats gruff circle


We put a colorful silk on the floor with a candle in the center and various natural items like pinecones, stones, leaves, etc. Lately Dylan really loves to hear "The Three Billy Goats Gruff," so we have 3 pinecones of 3 different heights, a blue colored mini silk as the stream underneath a curved piece of bark that serves as the bridge, and a knobby stick that is the Troll. We light the candle (Dylan likes to blow out the match) and we sing morning verse:



Good Morning, dear earth; Good Morning, Dear sun!
Good Morning dear stones and flowers every one!
Good Morning dear busy bees and birds in the tress!

Good Morning to you and Good Morning to me!


Then I tell the story--I do plan on changing the story periodically, but I think it's good for Dylan (at this age) to get to know one story for a while so that he can think about it and learn it and not be confused by lots of other story images--then Dylan blows out the candle and we put the circle things away on the Nature table, which will change now and then but currently holds ferns, shells, stones, pinecones, fall leaves and four little elves that I made from felt and wool.

The Troll is going to eat Dylan up!

Our first Paintings



After story, we do some sort of hand work or art activity. This week we did painting, coloring, playdough (since we don't have modeling beeswax yet) and cooking corn muffins (two days.)

Then we have free play or outside time while Molly taks her morning nap.

Then it's house work time--just one "chore" a day, we try to make it fun.

We sit and read a book before we wash hands and have snack. I think reading a story makes the transition from play to sitting and eating a lot easier. After snack, we wash our dishes and clean up the food, and get ready for our morning outing. (at this point, it's about 10 or 10:30.)

Our outings are usually play group, mommy and me preschool, grocery shopping, trips to the farmer's market, play dates and/or trips to the park.

We come home from our outing around noon. We wash hands and make lunch together, then sit down and eat. Afterwards we clean up and wash our dishes and then go upstairs to read a book and have nap time.

After nap, Dylan is usually a little clingy and grumpy, so we do another circle story time and then we wash hands and have tea with a snack.

After snack we have free play and then either go outside to play, or jogging (and then to the park,) or out to town again, depending.

We try to be home by 4:30 or 5 to make dinner, Dylan helps and then we have a story or play while it cooks. I also usually fold laundry at this time.

We have dinner between 5:30 and 6.

A simple Autumn center piece
We do outside play with Daddy until 6:30 and then quiet play until 7pm. Then it's bath time and then book and bed. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing your journey in Waldorf Home preschool. I loved reading about your family's rythm. I am just discovering Waldorf ways/philosophies Something about lighting a candle at circle time brought a question to mind. Every morning my kids and I go around the house and light 4-6 great smelling candles. What is the purpose of a candle at circle time and would our other room candles diminish its purpose? Also, what verse do you quote together? Thanks so much for all the sharing and writing you've done. Keep it up!

Katie said...

Hi Brandi,

Our life has changed some from the time when I wrote this blog, and my children now go to school out of the home part time while I'm finishing school, but I'm so happy that you enjoyed it, and to share with you. :)

I believe that any candles in the home are very special, especially for children who view fire with wonder and awe. And in the waldorf philosophy, there are times for multiple candles too. The single candle at circle time serves to focus attention and energy on a single point that represents calm and warmth and light both inside the child and out. The single flame helps center the children and focus their minds and hearts so that they can prepare the "work of the day." (You'll see that the children cannot take their eyes off of the flame in most cases!) In most classrooms, circle time is the beginning of a breathing in phase of the day, and stories and songs are shared. This serves to calm the children in preparation for their age-appropriate work, be it a "main lesson" of learning about the Norse myths, or painting time for younger children, anything that requires calm, quiet and focus. The candle is usually left aglow to continue the focus through the lesson, and it is extinguished at the end of the "breathing in" phase of the day, when the children will become more active and "breath out."

I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask more questions. I'm not an expert, but I do have a passion for the Waldorf philosophy, and I am hoping to become a waldorf teacher in the future. If you're interested, I can share some of the books and resources that I found while I was preparing to do our home preschool. :)

Katie

b said...

Hi Katie,

Funny-this is an entirely different Brandi--I found your blog tonight as I was looking for Waldorf routines. My 2 1/2 year old daughter, Audrey, and I go to a Parent/Child class at a local Waldorf preschool once a week and love it, but like you, I feel she is too young to send off to school when I am able to stay home with her. As such, I'm looking into being a bit more structured about our day. We have a basic routine, but I'd like to formalize it and make it more Waldorf-based.

Do you have any books to recommend that would be helpful? (I have 'You are your child's first teacher' , 'The 7 oclock bedtime' and '7 times the sun.'

Also--how long did you do your preschool project at home with your son? How did it go?