Monday, September 25, 2006

In seach of Bliss..

Well, I'm sure all of my posts up until this one have sounded so peaceful and flowery and "everything's perfect in Waldorf land.." but that's because we had such a meaningful and blissful weekend, and I was still floating on joy. Well, actually last week was mostly wonderous floaty peaceful moments with Dylan, and I treasured each one. But. Today was one of those whiny, angry, "NO"ing preschooler days. I inhaled slowly and deeply so often I could have hyperventilated. I try so hard to keep my cool, to move slowly, go down to him, be understanding...but damnit sometimes I just want to run out the door screaming and slam it in his crying whining face! ugh. exhale....

I got my copy of All Year Round today, and I spent the evening drinking tea and eating Vegan Tapioca (I made the recipe up myself! recipe below) on the couch with the festivals, dreaming about how I'll bring the magic into our home and family life year round. My only small issue will be that I am not Christian. So I'm going to integrate some of the ideas w/ the Pagan Festivals.. more specifically with the natural changes of the seasons and stars.

Just before coming upstairs to blog and go to bed, in a moment of inspiration, I stacked another shelf on the nature table to baby proof it in leiu of Molly's mobile-pulling up phase. (She choked on a beautiful-red-and-orange-fall-maple-leaf this morning.) Then I re-decorated the nature table with Autumn colored silks and got rid of the dried up ferns. I put Molly and Dylan's babies into "bed" in one of the baskets, covered with mini-silks for blankets, and put the silk basket with the clips and the Redwood Rounds and felted balls--made by myself and various special people in our life--front and center to invite play. Now, if those darned drop shipped play stands will get here...! I'll try and take some pics tomorrow.

Oh! I also ordered some Beeswax Tapers from Natural Earth Farm--they have such good prices on beautiful hand dipped double tapers! I can't wait for the aroma to fill our house. Just thinking about it reminds me of hand dipping in 6th grade. mmmm. It is not easy to make nice smooth candles, let me tell you! mine were very lumpy, but I can't wait to try it again! :D Now I want to order some dipping wax. I need to slowwww dowwwn.

Back to the point of this post. I've been savoring every moment of bliss these days. This weekend was almost perfectly blissful. Today, my *moment* was during tea time, between Dylan whining for soy milk and crying because I didn't make a sandwich out of his grahm crackers and peanut butter at tea time. I mean, give me a break! I didn't put them together cause I thought he'd have a fit, and it'd be easier to put the together than take them apart. shows what the heck I know.

What is bliss though? How do we *get* it? I've felt blissful while sitting quietly; while breaking my back planting trees; playing with my children; talking with my husband; driving in my car; walking in a beautiful place! I never know when it will come, but I'm trying to find one small moment of bliss in each day. I'd like to come up with a definition of my own, because I like no nonsense order like that.

*yes, yes--sunshine, rainbows, everywhere!!* ;p

Anyway, may you have at least one moment of bliss today.

<3 Katie

Recipe for Vegan Tapioca by Katie:

This tapioca tastes like the Fall Harvest version of Tapioca. :) Enjoy!

3T Tapioca pearls
2C Soy Milk
1T ground flax seeds
1t vanilla

Mix tapioca, soy milk and flax seeds in a medium sauce pan, let sit all soak for a few minutes. Turn the burner on Med. heat and stir constantly until it comes to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir. Let sit for 20-25 minutes (it thickens as it cools.)

No comments: